Tuesday, September 28, 2010

All the Colors of the Rainbow

Our days begin with breakfast at 6:30am. The classic staple to most of our meals has been avocados and some type of mango juice. I have not seen yet but am told the avocados are gigantic. After breakfast we have 15 minutes of devotion before we hit the road for the day. The Haitian ladies sing one of their songs in Creole, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B13JNy17c There are several different types of teams staying here at JAX beach, construction, rubble, water sanitation, medical teams, etc. As you've probably already seen on my Facebook pictures I also encountered my first tarantula today.

Today I got a few pictures of some of the vehicles I have encountered here there are all the colors of the rainbow, and usually say something about Jesus.

As I read Isaiah 46 today it was very fitting for the Vodoo conversation I had last night. The commentary I read was saying how God made us and works for our good, not to harm us. A message those imeshed in Vodoo don't understand. Jesus values and loves us all no matter our sin and circumstances.

Another day at the clinic and more interesting things. There was a 3 year old boy, Wengi, that hung around the clinic all day. When we arrived he was there, no mother in site. I saw no mother all day long. I know that there is no way we would have been able to leave my nephew at home alone when he was 3 years old, but Wenji although I'm sure a trouble maker seemed very independent and mature for his age. He was also my parrakeet and I taught him a line of English. After awhile he was mimmicking everything I said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfUXwUQNwBw We also had a set of baby twins with malaria and 2 other children. We have malaria tests for that are like pregnancy tests. Something American nurses usually don't see!

After clinic today we went to our Haitian nurse's, Sherline, and Mark Elie our Haitian translator's home. Mark Elie's mother died in the earthquake when the wall of their house fell on her. We saw the spot she was killed. He now lives in a large tent with a king sized bed and a twin bed with 8 people. Cooking is all done outside on a grill. Sherline had an actual structure for her one bedroom house, but she sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor of a tent. It's sad to see their living conditions and know they will live like this the rest of their lives, especially when relationships are built with these people. Then I stop to think, "They don't know what they are missing out on. They don't know anything else. The only reason we get sad is because we know what they are missing out on!" As I learned in Africa that they are more rich in family and relationships. Americans are more rich with materialistic possessions, and often times live much lonelier lives. Which really is the more sad way of life? They were so proud to show us their homes and where they lived. They had no shame, why should we feel shame?

Today a few of the Haitian's were wearing American clothing. I asked how they got it. One told me that their American families send them the clothes. The other had Puma shoes like mine, and said that he bought them in the market in Haiti. Who knew they'd sell such items in such a poor country.

At my base there are something like 301 Haitian workers. Samaritan's Purse gives out many different jobs: translators, doctors, nurses, drivers, guards, and cooks. It gives the opportunities to so many who were effected by the earthquake, and I love that this organization is able to do that.

Every day I try to remember all the details of the culture to report them. I forgot to mention that we are living like we are in Mexico. Our toilets flush, but the paper goes in the trash. So I apologize in advance that if I put my TP in your trash upon my return to the U.S.

I'll post the rest of my videos when they finish uploading. Also if you are reading this feel free to leave a comment as a guest below.

No comments:

Post a Comment