Sunday, October 3, 2010

Coconuts Coconuts Coconuts

Today we took this large motor boat from Petit Guave Bay to a remote beach an hour away along the southern Haiti coast line only accessible by boat. There were many Haitians living there on the island and I had one climb up a large coconut tree to get coconuts for us to drink the juice from. $3 for 4 coconuts! Watch my video it's truly amazing how they get up and down the trees to get the coconuts.



I saw a couple little Haitian boys sitting in the dark, so I smiled at them. When someone with our group started playing music I started wiggling my shoulders and neck around, and the little boys copied. Then I video taped them, then I showed them the video, and that's when it all started.......all the kids gravitated towards me. Before I knew it I was taking picture after picture with them. Whenever I'd get my camera out the girls would jump up and pose. After I moved back to my spot on the beach, they gradually moved their little clan to sit by me. Then I took a walk down the beach with them, as they all jumped
up to touch my hair and my skin. They are so curious about the white man! One thing I've noticed about the Haitians is that they all have pearly white teeth and long eyelashes. Many Africans have dental fluorosis, something I don't see here.

I swam in the Carribean and laid out on the white sandy beach all day. Sunscreen was a need indeed! Everyone came back fried lobsters! The ocean was so crystal blue especially next to the beach where there was no coral.

In other news I'm keeping my eye on the storm system in the Carribean right now that is coming towards Hispanola, the island of which the Dominican Republic and Haiti is on. It's moving at a slow 12mph, and isn't expected to develop into a hurricane in the next 48 hours, nor has it even developed into a tropical depression yet. It has yet to hit Puerto Rico, which is east of Hispanola.

One other notice of Haiti is their love for Celine Dion. Songs that she sang 15 years ago are still being played here. I've heard the Titanic Song a couple of times blasting in shops. One of the guy translators started singing that song to me one day in the car. I turned the radio on one day and she was singing a song in French. The girl sleeping in my tent says that one of her Haitian coworkers here has "I'm Your Lady" as his ringtone. The obcession is funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment