Monday, October 4, 2010

Babies and mamas!

Today we went to a clinic at a church inwhich there was an obscene amount of babies, mothers, and pregnant women. We see lots of children in the clinics, but never so many babies and pregnant women in one day with NO men. Most of them were in for dehydration, fever, and antibiotics, but nothing too exciting noted!

My sister and I were talking about the highway system here. So I've mentioned before that there are no road rules. I should tape how ludicrous it is at times! There is the yellow line that goes down the middle of the highway, but the Haitians still drive in the middle of the road over the line. In the States we use our horns to alert another driver. I know I began using my horn a million times in Texas this summer to prevent my new little ride from getting all smashed up! I don't use it on a daily basis though! Here it's like an essential for a car, being used a million times on a daily basis. Whenever we go around a curve the horn is on to warn any oncoming cars that we are coming around the corner and probably over the middle line. You know how you would walk through a crowd of people? Cars become the same way here, passing each other on the right and left side. In the US when there is traffic jams cars are usually in lines on the road or interstate. Here they are going every which way, it's crazy! You know how if we are take a left turn and have to cross the lane in oncoming traffic we turn on our blinker and wait for any oncoming cars, and all cars behind us stop and wait on us, right? Here they get off on the shoulder of the road, let all cars that are behind pass, and once it's clear from both directions make the turn. I ride in the front everyday due to my car sickness, and I am the front seat driver to our drivers. I have squealed a few times already! I have told them that I have been driving every since my feet could reach the tractor pedals. I think my dad had me drive the tractor for the first time when I was 8. My #1 rule is No passing on hills or curves. I'm not sure what makes them think they can possibly complete this safely. It's a game of hit and miss. While I'm in the car there is going to be no chancing a hit! My #2 rule, NO grinding the gears! I'm teaching proper technique to driving a stick shift. I guess a couple sticks have already been replaced due to grinding of gears. I learned to drive on a stick, and I also paid for my clutch to be replaced after the grinding of the gears! Yesterday while I was in the car, the driver killed the stick shift 3 times before getting the car to go. He said he had just started driving again recently! So reassuring! My #3 rule, Make sure the car is in 4 wheel drive before crossing the river or going through holes on the muddy roads. One driver lied to me and told me the car was in 4 wheel drive! I looked at the shift in the Land Rover and it said 2W, but he said it was 4W. The car was in 2 wheel drive. I could feel the front wheels grabbing, while the back were spinning out! Leave it to the farmer's daughters to keep the rules of the road! I said I have my rainboots, and if we get stuck they are for you to push us out while I drive. lol!

I'm keeping my eye on that storm on the National Hurricane Center's website. It's now entering the island of Hispanola traveling at 10mph. Hispanola is 360 miles long; therefore, we are about 360 miles away from the storm. It'll take 36 hours to get here. The whole entire time I've been here I haven't seen a tide in the bay at JAX beach. Tonight there is a tide, and a storm coming in!

No comments:

Post a Comment