Saturday, March 6, 2010

What is Travel Nursing?

Travel nurses work usually 13 week assignments in any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. However the assignments can be as short as 4 weeks, and vary being 4, 5, 6, or 8 weeks. There are also other travel companies that take nurses outside of the country but usually want a 1 to 2 year committment.

The facilities that use travel nurses sometimes are going through transition periods and only need a temporary nurse. They may be training new nurses and need experienced nurses to fill in until they are trained. They may also use temp staff until they can fill their openings.

Travel companies vary in their benefits. All travel companies provide housing. For assignments that are 8 weeks or longer I will have a furnished apartment. If I chose to find my own apartment then I receive a stipend rated on the cost of living in the area. I chose to have a furnished apartment, so that I don't have to lug my furniture all over the country with me. For less than 8 week assignments they will put me up in an extended stay hotel. Some companies will even pay for the nurse's electricity, internet, fitness passes, etc. Mine covers the costs of food and I am paid for my mileage traveling to my assignment. I also receive health insurance and a 401K when my assignment is 8 weeks or longer. They also cover licensing, immunizations, TB tests, drug screening, training (CPR, ACLS, etc), and offer free continuing education credits.

If the nurse has a permanent address while traveling then they are eligible for the tax advantage program. Less taxes are taken out of your paycheck if you are paying bills somewhere else. Along with all of these above perks I make a full salary. These salaries can be up to $10-$20 more an hour than staff nurses. So this is what travel nursing is! Travel! Make Money! Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment